History of Bangladesh Relation
History of Bilateral Relations between Bangladesh- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Bangladesh and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) have been enjoying excellent bilateral relations characterized by its emphasis upon economic and commercial relations. Bangladesh has maintained its presence in Hong Kong as a Trade Commission since 20 December 1976. The trade commission was subsequently turned into as Bangladesh Commission and preceding to Hong Kong’s handover to the Mainland China, the Bangladesh Commission was re-designated, like all other resident missions in Hong Kong, into a full-fledged Consulate General in 1996 by a Memorandum of Understanding signed between Bangladesh and China.
The Consulate General of Bangladesh in Hong Kong is also accredited to Macao Special Administrative Region.
- Under the principle of ‘one country, two systems’, Hong Kong is an autonomous Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (PRC). Hong Kong has a system of governance led by a Chief Executive and an Executive Council, with a two-tiered system of a representative government and an independent judiciary. Bangladesh firmly adheres to the ‘One Country, Two Systems” policy and believes that Hong Kong is one of the integral parts of Mainland China.
- Hong Kong remains very important for Bangladesh due to its position as a major business hub in Asia, huge trade potentials for Bangladesh.
- On the occasion of the Golden Jubilee of the Independence of Bangladesh in 2021, the former Chief Executive, Ms. Carrie Lam extended warm congratulations to Bangladesh through a video message.
- Hong Kong celebrated the 25th Anniversary of its establishment on 01 July 2022 under the theme “A New Era: Stability, Prosperity and Opportunity”. On the same day, swearing-in ceremony of the new Chief Executive of the HKSAR, Hon’ble John Lee Ka-chui and his new cabinet also took place. The occasion was graced by the presence of the Chinese President Mr. Xi Jinping. Hon’ble Foreign Minister of Bangladesh H. E. Dr. A. K. Abdul Momen, M.P. congratulated the new Chief Executive after the swearing-in ceremony by a felicitation message.
- The Consul General attended the flag-raising ceremony in celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the establishment of Hong Kong and the swearing-in ceremony of the new 6th term HKSAR Government. She also attended the flag-raising ceremony of the 73rd Anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong and National Day reception at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre officiated by Chief Executive Hon’ble John Lee on 01 October 2022.
- The Consul General attended the “7th Belt and Road Summit” jointly organised by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Government and the Hong Kong Trade Development Council on 31 August 2022.